The ideal location of La Cerisaie makes it possible to make many different trips in the Languedoc. There is much to experience in terms of both culture and nature. Below is a selection of the many possibilities.
Day trip Roquefort sur Soulzon. A day trip from Bédarieux by car or train to Roquefort sur Soulzon where you can take a look at the caves where the famous blue cheeses are made. Please note, it is necessary to take an early train connection. The last three km is by bus, but can also be covered on foot.
There are two beautiful caves near La Cerisaie.
- Day trip caves Devèze in Courniou.
A visit to the caves Devèze in Courniou. These caves were discovered at the end of 1800 during the construction of the railway from Bédarieux to Mazamet. The cave complex consists of several chambers. The caves can be visited daily and are among the most beautiful in the south of France. A tour takes about an hour and a half.
- Day trip caves Gouffre de Cabrespine
The Gouffre de Cabrespine, one of the most beautiful caves in France. The temperature in the caves is constant: only fifteen degrees, so it is best to put on a cardigan in the summer. You are allowed to photograph and film. The parking lot is free and there are options to eat something. There is also a souvenir shop and an information point. The cave is closed between 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM.
A day of water fun is always nice. There are several options nearby.
- When it is a bit cooler in Riols, it is often about four to five degrees warmer at sea. It is an hour's drive to Valras-plage, where a lovely and not too busy beach with nice beach bars awaits.
- When it is warm in Riols, a day trip to one of the large lakes of the Espinose Mountains is a good idea. The temperature there is about five degrees cooler. They are impressive lakes created by the construction of dams. In a number of places on the banks it is nice to splash around. Here and there a canoe or sailing boat is rented. Due to the high location of the lakes, it is certainly a pleasant trip on very hot days.
- The river Jaur offers access at various places and you can splash around in the water.
- The old Cité Carcassonne is located ninety kilometers southwest of Riols. The old Cité is the best preserved fortress from the early Middle Ages. It is a city with a rich history and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Experience the time of Cathars, knights and crusaders. Although the fortress has a somewhat touristic and commercial character, a visit is definitely worth it.
A day in Montpellier is also highly recommended. The city center has a lot to offer in terms of culture. A large park has sprung up on the outskirts of the city with numerous indoor activities for young and old. Such as laser gun, karting, wall climbing or bowling. The maritime aquarium is highly recommended, with a fun discovery tour under and above water and a great diversity of fish, coral and aquatic plants.
The many wineries in the immediate vicinity are certainly worth a visit. In almost all cases you will be warmly welcomed as a visitor and you will get a glimpse into the wine world, with of course a tasting at the end. The route from Riols via Roquebrun and Berlou to St. Chinian gives a nice picture of the wine world in the Hérault. For example, visit the Terre des Dames domain of the Dutch Lidewij van Wilgen, or a few other beautiful wineries in the AOP Saint Chinian or AOP Minervois.
Oppidum d'Ensérune is originally an Iberian-Greek city that was founded in the 6th century BC. It is located on a 118 meter high hill in a relatively flat landscape between sea and mountains. In the middle of all the excavations is a museum where all excavated objects are displayed. Besides the excavation, the view is more than worth it. With a view of the Canal du Midi and a very striking circle in the landscape.
Canal du Midi
Day trip Canal du Midi. A day trip on the Canal du Midi is highly recommended. There are several options and pick-up points for both an organized cruise and renting a boat to discover this special canal on your own.
There are several beautiful abbeys to visit near La Cerisaie
- Abbey du Fontcaude near Cessenon and Abbey de Fontfroide near Narbonne. Both abbeys have their own story and take you into their own history.
- Abbey de Fontfroide organizes guided tours through the monastery and the rose garden almost daily.
Chateau de Cassan
Château de Cassan is located on the route to Pézenas, an artists' village with nice shopping streets. The chateau has its origins before the beginning of our era. Over the centuries, the domain has fulfilled several functions. It has been listed as a monument since 1953 and since 1995 it has been restored and is open to the public.
This is a wonderful adventure, especially for the youth, but also for the young adults. The activity park is an hour's drive from La Cerisaie, in the middle of a forest area. Different routes have been plotted through the tops of the trees from a relatively easy climb to firmly exciting descents.
The Sidobre is a natural granite plateau of ten square kilometers between Mazamet and Castres. In the middle of the wooded area is the information center of the Sidobre. Scattered around the area are huge granite boulders waiting to be explored. There is a watchtower and of course a visit to the 55 ton balancing granite block should not be missed.